Carelessness Can Cost You
Many Americans are concerned about someone stealing their credit card, check, or debit card numbers, but they may be ignoring one easy way thieves can access financial accounts: receipts.
Disregarding receipts that have valuable information greatly increases the risk of credit and debit card fraud. Though more and more places are removing parts of the account or card numbers on receipts, some do not, and thieves can easily find them in trash cans. Some easy steps you can take to prevent thieves from stealing your financial information:
- Shred all preapproved credit offers, credit and debit card receipts, insurance forms, financial statements, and other paperwork containing personal and financial information;
- Check credit union statements and other financial statements monthly for discrepancies and order a credit report once a year to make sure no one else is using your personal information to obtain credit cards or services;
- Don't print your Social Security number on your checks and don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet; and
- Be hesitant about giving personal or financial information over the telephone--make sure you know the caller and know how the information will be used.
Good Time for a HELOC?
Are you thinking of remodeling your home? Now's a great time to get a home equity line of credit (HELOC) to help you finance a renovation or remodel.
Here are just some of the changes you can make:
- Add more living space: Open up your kitchen, add a nursery, update your bathrooms, or turn your bedroom into a master suite.
- Personalize to fit your lifestyle: Add a three-season porch or a swimming pool.
- Become more energy efficient: Replace your roof or windows or add solar panels.
The advantages of using a HELOC include:
- Potential tax benefits: Home equity interest payments are generally tax-deductible.
- Lower monthly payments: Interest rates on HELOCs are typically lower than credit card or personal loan rates.
- Greater financial control: With a HELOC, you withdraw and pay interest on only what you need when you need it.
Brokaw Credit Union can help you get a great rate on a HELOC. Call 715-359-7012 to learn more.
300 Everest Ave
PO Box 151
Brokaw, WI 54417
M, T, Th 9:00-4:00
Closed Wed and Sat
M, T, Th 8:30-4:30
Closed Wed and Sat
2006 Schofield Ave
PO Box 199
Weston, WI 54476
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
8:30 am to 5:30 pm
7:30 am to 5:00 pm
Tues, Wed, Thurs
8:30 am to 5:00 pm
7:30 am to 5:30 pm
9:00 am to 12:00 noon